20 September 2009

KingCast catching up with Hall Kirkham, Hawken '83.

Hall and I were good friends back in '73 onward even though one time he caught a pass from me on a wide-out in 8th grade and the defender's helmet neatly split his chin wide open. Well at least it was a first down LOL!!! OF course it was his father who gave me my first ride in a BMW, a '74 2002 that he drove in reverse on occasion through the back streets of Cleveland Heights. If you've never driven one, all I can say is that it's an amazing car regardless of what gear it's in and probably more fun to drive in reverse than most cars are in forward gears. If I didn't live in New England with it's high salt and trashy roads I would sell the 535i and buy another one.


Anyway, Hall is now a Man of the Cloth and I look forward to catching up with him and his wife and baby daughter. Long a fan of nonprofit management and progressive social causes, we discussed the real cost of producing consumer goods, the downside of hybrid/electric cars, Church politics and social justice, leading to a discussion on kick out of this piece "White Privilege -- Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack" by Peggy McIntosh, particularly in light of the Citibank case that will be filed this week and a radio discussion will happen at 8:30 a.m. on 8 Oct. 2009 at Touch FM -- Boston's only black-owned and managed radio station. Here are a couple of interesting notes from the Author:


13. Whether I use checks, credit cards or cash, I can count on my skin color not to work against the
appearance of financial reliability.
30. If I declare there is a racial issue at hand, or there isn't a racial issue at hand, my race will lend me
more credibility for either position than a person of color will have.
5. I can go shopping alone most of the time, pretty well assured that I will not be followed or harassed.



Related post on social Justice: Hawken's "Making A Difference."


PS: We called him "Wall" back in high school, I think you can see why LOL.

No comments: