"Carignan said there were no fire extinguishers that he knew of in the building and firefighters didn't have one on their truck. He helped them to pull the hose in and held it down with them as they sprayed down his apartment."
Update: Temple Ahavat Achim website. So S.S. walks into the living room today and told me what happened yesterday as her apartment building and Temple Ahavat Achim burned to the ground. She heard the alarm, thought it was her own alarm and almost went back to sleep but fortunately smelled just a wisp of smoke and decided to investigate. She ended up outside and at the fire station, barefoot -- where they told her "you can't be here," then they allowed her upstairs, then told her she couldn't be there either. What a trying experience. There was a fire in the apartment directly underneath mine back in '97 but fortunately I only got some smoke damage. Then in 2004 my old aparment in Nashua burned out too, with the flames in my old room as epicenter 2 weeks after I moved out. I was inline skating past there and saw it; it's kind of an out-of-body experience.
My heartfelt thanks to our nation's firefighters, as noted in this post celebrating Workingfirefighters.com and containing my short Daily Kos editorial on NYC firefighters, "9/11 and the negative space." And may they remain sober at work, as noted in this post. Oddly enough I just saw Mike, brother of the owner of Workingfirefighters a few days ago.
"We like what you did with his site on your blawg," he says. He also said he knew about the First Amendment violation at Lawrence High School with the MLK/Malcolm X mural being painted over because of Superintendent Laboy's personal prejudices against Malcolm.
"My pleasure on the website," I told him. "And yeah the Supe was wrong, wrong wrong in his beliefs."