Gloucester Times is also on point.
Newburyport News is on point. Actually I had missed the Newbury story "Fear of Fire prompted family's move" but it sure is a good one. I'll just post a
The family always told Taylor, who was 70, that he should move.
"He kept saying, 'I'm living on borrowed time living in this firetrap,'" Kushin said. But her fears grew. Kushin said there were no fire escapes and that the building was well out of code. "Everybody in the building knew it was a firetrap," Kushin said.The building's heating system was sporadic, Kushin said, heating up to the 80s and then turning off for hours, allowing the temperatures to drop to the low 60s.
Kushin said many people used space heaters to help heat apartments when the heat wasn't working and said she "wouldn't be surprised at all" if that were the cause of the fire.
"The heating system was very much like you never knew when it would come on," she said. One day, her husband encouraged her to go to the fire station to see firefighters to possibly ease her fears. She asked what plans were in place for the building and the answer she received was "the last straw."
"They said, 'Our plan is to watch it go up like a tinderbox,'" she said. "I said 'Oh my God, there is no hope.'"
Folks taking short cuts with my friend's life, not cool. She was a recent tenant (summer '07) unaware of the history. For those of you who have never been in or near a fire (I have been) let me tell you something: Don't assume anything. Not one thing. When the alarm goes off, you go around until you are certain you have identified the source. You can save a life if you do the right thing; might even be your own.
Related site: Workingfirefighters.com
Related posts: Mad respect for firefighters one and two.