27 May 2007

KingCast bids goodnight to Michael Brecker.

Michael Brecker is one of the baddest jazz composers, ever. He slipped away in January but I didn't know about it until last week, when I heard about his final album , "Pilgrimmage." I'll be purchasing that bad boy this week. On a related note, I remember talking with Paul Schaffer when Warren Zevon -- a brilliant, classically-trained pianist -- was still fighting for his life. He went through hell for a while but resurrected himself with one of my favorite bands of the 80's -- R.E.M. Murmur, Reckoning, and Fables were all so cool.

"He's in good spirits and he's going to stay in good spirits," he said.

I heard that's the way that Michael Brecker went out, and that's the way everyone in this World should pass on. Sometimes we don't all get that chance.

No comments: