09 April 2007

KingCast explains why America needs Boston NOW; shares "American Lawyer" manuscript 2.0

As noted in this weekend's Morphine/Alchemist post, I met up with Boston writer James O'Brien as he and the rest of the editorial staff prepare to launch Boston NOW, a revolutionary independent Boston metro freebie. The WBUR story notes that blog feeds will assume a pivotal role in the content of the paper because as the managing editor noted, "You do have a place on the platform....and we do respect your voice."

This is good because I have witnessed major media shut down the small voice on repeated occasion, since I came from editing a weekly and being a reporter at a daily and have worked with media as a Civil Rights Lawyer over the years. We relished our minor victories when we got coverage by an understanding reporter who convinced an editor to air the truth. You have to stay progressive, as Mr. O'Brien notes at manuscript p.40, more in comments.
"People in the community did view me as the Man," King continued. "If you had a Civil Rights issue, you came to holler at me. If you didn't have any money, you came to me. I specialized in cases where their income was well under $100,000. Some only made minimum wage. Other lawyers wouldn't take their cases. They'd tell them to come back another day. I didn't do that. I said give me $500 and we'll ride it out. I never wrote contracts. Never. We'll just get on this bus and we'll ride this [M-F], you know? Like a Freedom Rider."

Pulitzer-Prize winning columnist Mike Royko understood. Twice.

Related posts: The Revolution will be televised, There's no privacy in a public courtroom.

Related KingCast video: Day in Nashua; Live Revolution; Oreo.

4 comments:

Christopher King said...

I first give credit to the Telegraph's earnest efforts to blend cyberspace and print media, as noted herein:

http://christopher-king.blogspot.com/2007/04/why-kingcast-loves-telegraph-and-bea.html

Relative to the story about Bea Francoeur's Constitutional/Diplomatic Immunity speeding ticket case that I may cover myself.

It is crucial to the future of the Fourth Estate, and obviously I believe that having bloggers submit their viewpoints encourages integrity of the Estate.

Now, on to Manuscript 2.0:

***********

From the beginning, King's blog was a multimedia event. He included photos, highlighted key words throughout his text that would link to thumbnail images -- most of them humorous. If he wrote that [fired Jaffrey, NH Police Chief Martin] Dunn ws on a "witch hunt," the words would lead to a woodcutting of witches burning at the stake. Something about the footnote illustrations opened a window into King's internal World. He was clever, persistent, possessed of an immediate visual dictionary for absurdity.

OTOH, if he cited case law, he linked to the case law. If he cited a newspaper article, one button-push sent the reader to the acrchived online content. And the links were political. If King wrote that Dunn called him a "disturbed individual," the words linked to a picture of Malcolm X.

King was at last in his element. He could create a permanent argument, transferable to the eye and into the minds of readers. It was a space that his attention span could navigate, a chaotic but useable swirl of facts, commentary and personality.

*******

And of course, our media plan worked:

http://christopher-king.blogspot.com/2006/09/kingcast-video-podcast-defeats-chief.html

-c

Anonymous said...

Any commentary on Don Imus - Al Sharpton matter?

Christopher King said...

I was just about to get on that.

Hold tight.

-c

Christopher King said...

And here you are:

http://christopher-king.blogspot.com/2007/04/kingcast-responds-on-sexism-and-racism.html

Excerpt:

I loved Don Imus when I was a kid in Cleveland. He had a show there and he's part of why I went into media in the first place, for example noted herein where I drank beers with Jerry Springer and tracked an asshole named Ken Blackwell 17 years before we started KingCast. Imus seemed knowledgeable yet playfully irrevorent and whatnot. But over the years his comments seemed to come with more vitriol and from an agry-conservative voice. So now he just seems less a role model and more like an asshole for calling the runner-up lady Rutger's basketball team a bunch of "nappy-headed hos" while praising the beauty of the Tennessee team. Excuse me but there is no professional context under which such a comment is remotely permissible. Maybe all those effin' rails he used to push up his hooter made him into the Devil, I dunno.

I have not checked in with Cousin Mike (Wilbon) on this but I can tell you that Browns Sportsblog reports that off camera the word "jiggaboo" was even tossed around.