12 April 2007

KingCast bids goodnight to Kurt Vonnegut, writer and SAAB salesman extraordinaire.

In 1982 I first read Kurt/Vonnegut in Dorothy Icove's satire class. His writings became part of my literary canon and inexorably changed my life. Thank you, Sir. for the ride that has lasted 25 years.

Cats Cradle, Slaughterhouse Five, Breakfast of Champions, Bokonon, Ice-Nine, all of that. And speaking of rides, when I was a reporter for the IndyStar, I discovered that he also sold SAABS, of course. Some say he was the first U.S. dealer, in fact. And he cursed them just as I do, even though one does appear in KingCast short films "American Lawyer 1" and I pilot one of my convertibles in "Live Revolution."

Related interview: Vonnegut and David Brancaccio, 2005.

Related post: Rockin' the boost on Lucky Number 7.

No comments: